Friday, July 27, 2012

Memphis-Austin

I didn't have time yesterday to post anything. It was a very long day of driving. We left Memphis early and hit the road. There is not much to say about the drive. It was flat and straight...Very hot all day long. We stopped a few times just to stretch a little, get water and keep going. We passed Dallas and about one hour later, Alfonso my cousin (who is like my older brother and is getting married in September) calls me and tells me that he is in Dallas on a business trip. We could've stopped and just say hi and keep going...would have loved that! But of course communication in the family is a little non-functioning...so he didn't know we were going to drive through Dallas, because if you think about it, driving from Charlotte to Monterey...Dallas is nowhere in that route...And we didn't know he was going to be in Dallas, even though we chatted a little bit the day before. Oh well...at least we got to talk a few minutes. We arrived in Austin around 8 pm, absolutely exhausted! Yardo welcomed us with his big smile and characteristic warmth. I couldn't believe we were here. He has been living in Austin for more than 6 years. I have been living in NC for four, and we have never seen each other in the States in all this time. But we were finally here. We had dinner and a nice talk and went to bed. Today I slept all I could...my mom woke up early again, but finished her book. Then we went to a natural spring to hang out and get some sun. Afterwards we went downtown and walked around a little bit. I loved the city. Austin is a beautiful city. We got some things we needed and came back home. Then Yardo got home and we went to REI because I needed a backpack to hike in the National Parks (I got a very nice one.) Since we got back we have been just hanging out. Sarah (Yardo's fiancée) and her twin sister came. We had dinner and watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics. I am very happy we decided to come visit. We are leaving tomorrow (early) with a big smile and well rested. We are heading to Amarillo, TX... let's see how that goes.
















1 comment:

  1. You went to Barton Springs! I love it! Great photo, too, from that patio.
    Just one more boring stretch getting to Amarillo, after the Texas Hill Country and before eastern NM, you'll survive that if you got through east Texas unscathed!

    ReplyDelete